Sunday, March 22, 2009

White Hibiscus


White Hibiscus by Rosemary Pollock is a Harlequin Romance written in 1980. I found it very dated or maybe I changed.

Emma is a young 18 year girl who is in Malta to do a photo shot. When her photographer tries to attack her, she runs from the car. She is almost hit by another car driven my Paul Santana Demajo. Paul takes her to his sister estates. She is the Princess Lisa di Valdi, who happens to be a famous designer. Princess Lisa decides that she wants Emma to model her clothes line. So off they fly to Paul's estate on an island near Malta. Paul is in his thirties and does not like models. He thinks models are boring and have dubious morals.

I can see myself reading this book as a teenager and loving it. The exciting life of a model going to foreign places and falling in love with a man that you hope will take care of you. But as a woman who is of a certain age, I did not like it. The age difference, having a man take care of you does not appeal to me.

I guess I like my heroines to have more history and to be closer in age to the heroes.

I gave this book 2 stars.
Happy Reading

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I think I'm too old to like this book now... when I was in highschool, books like this were what I always read...I was hooked...I've grown out of this type of books now.

Pabast said...

mylastread

What you say is so true.