Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Daring Book Challenge


I kept returning to this challenge. At first, I thought I would not do it but I kept thinking about the books. I read so many of them when I was growing up. It is nice to know that I have read classics at one time. I kept feeling the pull towards this challenge. I finally decided to give in to my inner girl and relive the books from my girlhood. On the bright side I talked my daughter into doing this challenge with me.


Here are the rules for the A Daring Book Challenge:

You have 3 tracts to choose from plus you can choose to join me in trying to read them all.
1. Read one book from each category from June 15/08 to February 15/09 (6 books in 8 months)2. Read any 9 books from the list from June 15/08 to June 15/09 (9 books in 12 months)
3. Read one whole series from this list starting June 15/08. If it contains up to 10 books, by June 15/09, if 20-30 books, by June 15/11 and for the Trixie Belden series and Nancy Drew series by June 15/12.

PLUS
4. Want to work on reading them all? It's an ongoing challenge so take all the time you need. You can do this and still do one of the above.


Few more general guidelines for the challenge:

1. Crossovers with other challenges are allowed.
2. Audiobooks are allowed.
3. For the ongoing challenge, books you've read in the past count, you don't have to re-read them.
4. For the first 3 tracts, all books read must be read AFTER June 15/08.


My daughter is going to do tract 1. Here are her choices.

  1. 20 Girl Classics: Mandy by Julie Edwards
  2. Other Favorites: Pride and Prudjuice by Jane Austen
  3. Science Fiction and Fantasy: The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper
  4. Classic Girl and Her Horse Books: Black Beauty by Anne Sewell
  5. Mythologies and Fairy Tales: Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley
  6. Old Fashioned Girl Detective Series: Trixie Belden and the Secret of the Mansion by Julie Campbell

I will try to do tract 2 as well as the on-going challenge. My choices are:

  1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  2. Behind Rebel Lines: The Incredible Story of Emma Edmonds, Civil War Spy by Seymour Reit
  3. The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
  4. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
  5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  6. A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (1st book in the Earthsea Trilogy)
  7. Black Beauty by Anne Sewell
  8. The Once and Future King by T.H. White
  9. My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara

I chose books that I did not read when I was a girl. This list can change depending on the availability of the books at the library.

No comments: