Sunday, May 25, 2008

Checkmate

Welcome to Jean Hackensmith's Virtual Book Tour. I am pleased to review Checkmate.


Checkmate by Jean Hackensmith is the first book in the Brian Koski "Stalker" Series. This book is about Caryn Deaver. Her husband, Dan, severely abused her through the course of their marriage and then he ties her and their children up and sets the house on fire. They were able to escape. He is sent to prison for eighteen years. Caryn moves on with her life. She even has a boyfriend Cheyenne Fire Chief, Zach Riker. Then her ex husband is released from prison. And everything changes. He begins a sadistic stalking game. He calls it Checkmate. He decided on thirteen moves until the last move. Each move in his game getting progressively worse. After each move he leaves a note counting down until the last move, increasing the psychological terror that Caryn and Zach feel as they wait for the last move. The last move will be the death of Caryn and Zach. With the help of Brian Koski, they try to find and stop Dan before he stops them.


When I read the description for Checkmate, I thought the book would be good, but I was wrong. It was Awesome! I was unable to put this book down until the end. There were a lot of "Oh my god" and "I can't believe this" moments in this book.


Hackensmith made Caryn, Zach, and Brain strong and vulnerable. She made them into real people that you cared about. She created a great villain in Dan. The kind of villain I like, true evil.


I can't wait for more books in this series. If they are going to be anything like this book, I will have some sleepless nights ahead. YEAH!

This romantic thriller is a you have to read this book.

2 comments:

Jean Hackensmith said...

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! I'm glad you enjoyed "Checkmate" and am looking as forward as you to the next book in the series. It may be a little while in coming, though. I'm currently working on something totally unrelated. When my new manuscript is finished, however, the next book in the "Brian Koski" Stalker Series will be next on the agenda!

Thanks again!

Jean Hackensmith

Cheryl said...

Thanks for the great review! I haven't read this book yet, but I have read one of Jean's other books, so I have high hopes for "Checkmate" when I get a chance to read it.

Cheryl