Sunday, January 13, 2008

Freedom Walkers


Freedom Walkers: the Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott By Russell Freedman
My Daughter read this book for the Battle of the Books competition. It caught my eye, so I decided to read it.
The book takes us back to the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement and it did not start with Rosa Parks. There were other ladies before her who refused to get up and were arrested. Mrs. Parks was the ideal defendant to take bus segregation issues into the federal court. The book also explains what happens to the leaders of the boycott and the car pools.
I thought it was a good book. I am glad it was chosen for The Battle of the Books competition. It is a wonderful introduction to the Civil Rights Movement. I even learned something new, that there were other ladies before Rosa Parks and that the bus boycott lasted a year. If you know a child between 4-6th grade definitely get it for them.
This is the second book that I read from The Battle of the Books. I read one from last year's list. It was called Hanna's Suitcase by Karen Levine.

No comments: