Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Concubine's Tattoo

The Concubine's Tattoo by The Laura Joh Rowland is a mystery set in the late 1600s Japan. This is the fourth book in Sana Ichiro series and the first one that I read.

Sana Ichiro has just married, but on his wedding day one of the Shogun's concubine dies. As Shogun's honorable investigator, he is sent to investigate the death. He realizes that the concubine was murdered. He finds out that the concubine is poisoned while applying a tattoo.

Reiko is Sano's new bride. She is not the traditional Japanese wife that is found in the 1600s Japan. As the only child of a widowed magistrate, she was allowed to watch his court cases. She was trained in the ways of the Samurai warrior. She is not the docile wife Sano expected. Reiko helps with the investigation even though Sano tells her no. He is furious when he finds out.

Can Sano solve the murder and work things out with Reiko?

When I started to read this book, I was not sure if I would like it. But I kept going and the book became better. This is not your traditional mystery. This mystery does not get solved quickly. There is a lot of twist and turns in this book. I thought I figured out who committed the murder but Rowland there in some twist and it was not who I thought. This is definitely a thinker mystery. If you like mysteries then you will like this book. Enjoy.


No comments: